Friday, August 1, 2014

Ruby Violets Ice Cream Dreams by Julie Fisher book review

Ruby Violet's Ice Cream Dreams is like a step back in time.  Everything about the book seems so romantic and British.  Who is Ruby Violet?  Ruby Violet was author Julie Fisher's maternal grandmother who was born on the first day of spring 1906 when King Edward V11 was on the throne.  Author Fisher or should I say icreamstress quit her job as a photographer to sell ice-cream.  Not just ice-cream but ice-cream out of a food truck.  This is not the truck that usually comes through your neighborhood.  All her ice cream is made without artificial additives or preservatives.




I must say it all looks delicious to me.  She believes in seasonable fruits so that she can make the ice cream fresh each day.  It is probably a good thing that her shop is in England.  I think I would be there every day.

In her book, Fisher teaches one how to make ice cream.  There are two basic recipes-the sweetened ice cream mix and the unsweetened ice cream mix.  I must confess that I have not done a spreadsheet to see when you would use the sweetened vs the unsweetened recipe.  Making ice cream is relatively easy.  You make your mix and then your ice cream needs to churn and freeze.  I have two ice cream makers, the old fashioned kind that uses salt and a cuisinart.  With the cuisinart one must also think in advance they want to make ice cream and place it in the freezer.  

I am not sure if I would make each of the ice creams in the book as some of them are too odd for me. Horseradish ice-cream is not for me .  However licorice and blackcurrent ripple sounds interesting.  White chocolate with toasted coconut has my attention.  She definitely has some interesting pairings.  
Should you want to turn the ice cream into a show stopper there is a recipe for baked alaska and ice cream bombs.  There are recipes for wafers and sauces that all sound so enticing.  If you have the time visit Fisher's website the photos and events are lovely.  I may just have to fly over to London to learn how to make baked Alaska.  

Thank you to Rizzoli for providing me with a copy of the book.

This is my contribution to weekend cooking hosted by Beth at Beth Fish Reads.  

7 comments:

Jeanie said...

I've thought about getting an ice cream freezer -- sounds so delish! But I'm afraid it might add more pounds than the mere four or five pounds the ice cream freezer itself would add to the household!

Jackie Mc Guinness said...

This looks very interesting!!

Beth F said...

I have a ice cream maker too -- I rarely use it. Those photos are amazing! Now I have a hankering to make peach ice cream. :)

JoAnn said...

I've never made ice cream, but would love to try!

Trish said...

You had me at ice cream. That cover looks sinfully good. We made ice cream over the 4th of July weekend but I don't consider the strange recipes either. Peppered Strawberry in one book I have? No thank you!!

Joy said...

Oh, this sounds good! I enjoy making ice cream in our Cuisinart maker, but I tend to go for the healthy treats.

Just so happens we've got a trip planned to London....

Joy's Book Blog

Paulita said...

I love homemade ice cream. I think my favorite is peach.

Related Posts with Thumbnails