Friday, July 25, 2014

TrEATs Delicious food gift to make at home, April Carter Review

I must confess I have not felt like myself at all this year.  My mum's death has turned me inside out.  I have never felt so disconnected from the world and life before.   It has been interesting to see how I have lost interest in so many of the joys that I treasured...cycling, baking, cooking and reading to name a few.

That said in the past few weeks I have felt that I am starting to slowly find my bearings.  Last weekend the day was overcast and a little cool.  Cool in the sense of I could give up a beach day.  I spent the day in the kitchen.  Something I truly love to do.  I love kitchen days.  Cooking and baking away.  I must confess it was rather nice.  We had dinner prepared for the week.  The main courses at least.

If I wanted to be truly decadent and not wear a bikini to the beach again this summer I would have baked every recipe from trEATs  Delicious food gifts to make at home.  Most times when I bake I will give away most of what I make to friends.  I love baking and tasting.  That is all I really need.

I could sit down and read trEATs  Delicious food gifts to make at home  every day with a cup of tea.  It is the sort of book that takes me bake to England.  Imagine yourself in a lush rose garden with your favourite cup of tea.  The inside cover for the book and the chapters are all set with a a lovely cream and blue wallpaper print.  I'm in love with the print alone before I even start reading the recipe.  Yes I must confess I love reading recipes.  Almost every recipe has an accompanying photo.  Lovely photos that are rustic and charming.  The recipes are all quite easy to follow and varied.  I would probably make almost all the recipes.

So, what do we have inside this delightful book, cakes, bakes, biscuits and cookies, savoury (the author is British so there is the u -which as a Canadian I quite appreciate) and sweet trEATs.  All measurements and temperatures are both Metric and Imperial.  To solve that problem I have my measuring utensils in both.  Given I always return home with many cookbooks it just made it easier.

As soon as I open the first chapter the first two recipes are beckoning to me, Cherry and Cinnamon bundt cakes and brownies with salted caramel.  The third recipe is an almond and earl grey teacup cakes.  Yes a little cake baked inside a teacup.  A proper British teacup, not a mug.  What a sweet gift would that be, to peruse garage sales for matching tea cups and saucers and bake your gift inside.

I wish the Bake section was longer; there are only four recipes.  That said I am a huge fan of mince meat pie another recipe I cannot wait to try.  The savoury section has what looks like a delicious fig and goat cheese loaf.  Everything really sounds just scrumptious.

This is a book that I can see myself gifting both the book and the recipes.  Thank you to Rizzoli Publishing for such a charming book.

This is my contribution to Weekend Cooking hosted by Beth at Beth Fish Reads.

FROM THE PUBLISHER:

trEATs: Delicious Food Gifts to Make at Home

Written by April Carter
  •  March 4, 2014
  •  Hardcover
  •  Cooking - Entertaining
  •  Hardie Grant Books
  •  7 x 8-5/8
  •  $19.95
  •  $19.95
  •  978-1-74270-634-4

About This Book

Tempting and beautifully presented food gifts for every occasion. Whether it's a birthday, a baby shower, Father's Day, or Christmas, there's no better way to say "I love you" than with a homemade gift straight out of your kitchen. trEATs contains over fifty edible goodies for every occasion, both savory and sweet, and will suit both the novice cook and the more experienced. Included throughout are tips and hints on wrapping and packaging your food, so it looks as good as it tastes. From cookies to preserves, cakes to flavored salts, and even alcoholic gifts, there's something to suit every palate. Whip up some donuts and decorate them with pink icing and sprinkles; bake some salted caramel brownies or some cake pops for a party; infuse some vodka with chili. Making your own gifts doesn't have to take ages or cost you lots of money: trEATs teaches you how to make show stopping gifts for every celebration.

About the Author

April Carter is the face behind Rhubarb and Rose, which started as a baking blog on her adventures of baking and making things in London. This is her second book.

8 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

I've been out of touch for awhile and I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum. Hope you continue to find your bearings. I know it's a difficult task.

Jeanie said...

I am so glad that something hit just right to help bring you back into the world. I remember that feeling of being lost and losing interest in all the things I loved so well. It takes time, my friend. This grieving business takes time -- it's not linear. You move ahead, get pushed back a bit and forward. It can take a long while. But handle it one day at a time. And grabbing onto something that gives you joy and inspires your senses is a grand start. The book looks divine. I may have to find it myself!

Vicki Boster said...

Esme- this looks like a beautiful book-- and it seems like the perfect book for you. Invite me when you make something decadent.

Love
Vicki

Laurie C said...

Glad to hear about your great day in the kitchen and this cookbook does seem lovely.

La Table De Nana said...

It does take time..the more you have loved someone especially.
Cooking..baking..gardening..music.. all these things can be therapeuic.
She is watching you bake:)
My mom must be so surprised.I lost her when I was 19 and I think toast is all I made then.
Jeanie said it very very well..
Like the ebb tide of the ocean~

Beth F said...

I so understand that feeling of disconnection, but it's wonderful that cooking and baking are coming back to your life. The cookbook sounds wonderful -- I like that idea of baking in a teacup.

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

I'm so sorry about your mum. Please take care of yourself.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hello Esme, slowly but surely you will find each task easier . This book sure does look a trEAT :-)

There are some super baking books about , I like to read them too, but I don't bake , not since the boys left home, which was a while ago.

Happy baking xox

Related Posts with Thumbnails