Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Belle Isle France

 Last spring I spent some time on Belle Isle, in France.  Belle Isle is an island off the coast in Brittany and it is absolutely delightful.  There are no other words to describe it.  My time here was heavenly.  I stayed here at the Hotel La Grande Large.  It was spectacular.  The photos below were all taken within walking distance of the hotel if not just outside the hotel.  Each evening I would walk along the path to watch the sunset.  The sunrise was also a treat.  There are very few cars on the island.  My hotel had bicycles and I borrowed one to cycle around the island.
 When Monet first came to the island he was only going to stay a short time.  Given the light of the island he extended he stay and it is here that he painted his rock series on the savage coast of Belle Isle.  I can see why he was so inspired.
 In the mornings I would walk to the local corner store.  There was a store and bar together.  I would get a croissant and some yogurt and then sit down at the bar with a cup of tea.  The lady at the store was very kind.  She kept my yogurt in the fridge for me.
I honestly could have stayed here awhile.  While I did not go into the water, I was here in May I would love to return in the summer months.  I can just imagine how idyllic the island must be then.

If you want to read more about Belle Isle visit Emma's Words and Peace  where she reviews The French House set on Belle Isle.

This is my contribution to Paris in July hosted by Thyme for Tea.

6 comments:

Louise said...

What a gorgeous spot! I can certainly tell why you were so taken with it, as was Monet. Beautiful at any time of year I'm sure.

wordsandpeace.com said...

wow, awesome pictures! thanks for linking

Vicki Boster said...

Esme -- its so beautiful there -- I can see why you would not want to leave --- put this place on our "list"!!

Love,
Vicki

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Beautiful pics! I always love seeing your travel adventures!

Jeanie said...

Oh Esme, how beautiful! Indeed -- I would love to spend some time in this beautiful place. Your photos are wonderful!

Brona Joy said...

Gorgeous pics - thanks for sharing :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails