Sunday, July 27, 2014

A Question of Honor by Charles Todd Book Revew

A Question of Honor is the 5th in the Bess Crawford mystery series.  I have not read the other 4 but will be quickly seeking them out.  Bess is a young nurse at the French front during World War 1.  Raised in India, Ms. Crawford believes that she recognizes a soldier in the hospital who is wanted  for five murders.  The recognition of the man opens up old wounds for Bess.

At the time of his disappearance Lt. Wade was under Bess's father's command.  His disappearance left a stain on the Colonel's regiment and Bess is determined to clear her father's name and solve the mystery of what happened to the Lt. and was he the one responsible for the murders.

What I really enjoyed about the book was how it took the reader from India to Britain and the French front.  Intertwined in the mystery was the fate of other British children who were sent home from India to be raised in a foster home in Britain.  The couple who are one of the five victims were less than altruistic in the children they fostered.

Bess enlists the help of Simon Brandon, a former sergeant in her father's regiment and her mother as she travels the British countryside attempting to solve the mystery.  Her time off from the French war front is spent trying to erase this blemish on her father's regiment.

This is a great story that takes readers to the heart of the trenches of WW 1 in France and the fear and stamina both the medical teams and soldiers endured to the British countryside and India.  The reader is left guessing at to the fate of both Lt. Wade and who murdered his parents along with a British couple.

Thank you to Williams Morrow for my copy of A Question of Honor.

This is my contribution to Dreaming of France hosted by Paulita at An Accidental Blog, I love France hosted by Emma at Words and Peace


6 comments:

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

I don't usually like mysteries but this one sounds interesting!

Paulita said...

Your description and the way this cover looks reminds me of a 1960s book. So glad that you found a series to enjoy with a France connection. Thanks for playing along with Dreaming of France today. Here’s my Dreaming of France meme

Joy said...

What a terrific story to read during the World War I anniversary observances.

I'll have to look into this one.

Joy's Book Blog

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

In my next life, I plan to only read books about Paris!

http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2014/07/how-alvin-texas-is-like-paris-france.html

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I've heard good things about the Bess Crawford books. I need to check them out.

Jeanie said...

I'm not familiar with these, but I'm very into this type of book and WWI especially, Thanks for the recommendation!

Related Posts with Thumbnails