Tuesday, May 15, 2012

How to Eat Cupcake by Meg Donohue Review



It only seems fitting that I would read How to Eat a Cupcake as I was on my way to France.  The French are apparently obsessed with cupcakes and we are obsessed with their macarons.  Why not read a book about the love of baking as I was headed over to the pastry capital of the world.  I am proud to say that I gave this book to the front desk clerk at my hotel in Paris and she was delighted by it.  You would think that I was giving her freshly baked cupcakes.

How to Eat a Cupcake is a book after my heart.  I wanted to be Annie.  The book had me wearing an apron, bringing out my kitchen aid and just tasting one batter after another.  Okay not really, remember I was in France.  I was either reading late at night all tucked in my hotel room or dragging the book out to dinner with me.  High on French pastries and wine, laying in a bed in France, what better way to enjoy the book.

(From the author)Free-spirited Annie Quintana and sophisticated Julia St. Clair come from two different worlds. Yet, as the daughter of the St. Clair’s housekeeper, Annie grew up in Julia’s San Francisco mansion and they forged a bond that only two little girls oblivious to class differences could—until a life-altering betrayal destroyed their friendship.

A decade later, Annie bakes to fill the void left in her heart by her mother’s death and a painful secret jeopardizes Julia's engagement to the man she loves. A chance reunion prompts the unlikely duo to open a cupcakery, but when a mysterious saboteur opens old wounds, they must finally face the truth about their past or risk losing everything.

Seriously the book had a little about friendship, a lot about betrayal and the best descriptions of ingredients that I have read about in a long time.  As a young adult Annie is at the St. Clair residence catering a party with her yet to be famous cupcakes.  She has not spoken with Julia in many years.  After tasting one of her wonderful cupcakes Julia decides to finance a cupcakery for Annie.  Opening a cupcakery with the person who was once your closest friend and you feel betrayed you is not an easy task for Annie.

The opportunities it presents to Annie are endless.  For once Annie can indulge in the high quality ingredients she has always dreamed of.

I would usually think of a book like this as my fluffy beach read.  This book is anything but a fluffy book read.  Donahue did a lovely job of developing both the young women's characters.  You understood their personalities and the decisions they made.

For me the highlight of the book was the process of both opening the cupcakery and Donahue's descriptions of the cupcakes and their recipes.  Throughout the book she had me wanting to be in my kitchen baking alongside Annie.

If How to Eat a Cupcake is any indication of Donohue's talents I hope that she comes out with another book soon, maybe about a woman who runs a chocolate store perhaps.

Thank you to William Morrow Publishing for providing me with a copy of the book to read.  

8 comments:

Paulita said...

Yes, I'll definitely pick this one. When I read student essays constantly, I'm always in need of a beach read.

Old Kitty said...

I love the word "cupcakery"!!! I want to own one! LOL!!

Yay for such a wonderful book - the title does sound like it's a fluffy fun read but great to know it's a story with more substance and filling than just icing! Yay! Take care
x

Kris said...

Anything about sweets is a good read for me! Sounds interesting. I'll put it on my book list.

Pam said...

This is going on my list!!

Pesky Cat Designs said...

Thanks for the review! OK, I am planning my trip to Luli's, the cupcake place here in town as I write.

How are the sweet kitties? Hugs to you all. :)

Ingrid King said...

This sounds like a wonderful book - I'm going to add it to my summer reading list.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

An interesting story! A title that attracts my attention... ;-P

Cheers,

Rosa

vicki said...

Esme- if there was ever a book with your name on it-- this is surely it! I think it would be the perfect beach read!
Vicki

Related Posts with Thumbnails