Saturday, April 14, 2012

Herbs The Complete Gardner's Guide by Patrick Lima




Depending on where you live in the country, April may be the month to start your garden. I have had an herb garden for years, albeit one in a pot. That is what makes an herb garden so much fun, you can have one outdoors and indoors. Done properly, you can have an herb garden all year long. I love cooking with fresh herbs. They bring an added flavour to dishes. Lemon thyme is probably one of my favourites. Thyme can be mixed into an omlette and thrown on top of a chicken.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It talked about herbs for cooking with and herbs for tea and healing. The author did a great job of explaining all the different herbs available and the terrain that is most suitable for them. Where in the country they would thrive and what conditions and necessary to get them through the winter.

I had never really thought about using herbs as part of my garden before. Lima had done a great job with letting you know how much space the plant requires and whether or not it blooms and will add colour to your garden. I had never really thought of herbs as an addition to my garden before as much as just a plant to go out and pick.

While she cannot suggest for you what flavour you may enjoy adding to your plate, she does tell you what the flavour is for the herbs and makes suggestions for your kitchen. For me I will be adding lovage to my garden this year.

For someone who likes to cook and enjoys some gardening I found this to be a fun and informative book. If you are considering an herb garden, this book is a great place to start.

This is my contribution to Weekend Cooking hosted by Beth at Beth Fish Reads.

7 comments:

Pam said...

Sounds like a good one and I love the cover!

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook said...

Sounds like a great book, I'm always interested in learning about herbs!

Kris said...

I love cooking with fresh herbs. Basil and rosemary are favorites of mine. I love to see herbs outlining a garden or in large pots.

Sounds like a great book!

Beth F said...

I love growing herbs. Before we moved (years ago) I had an herb garden in which I grew more than 60 varieties. These days I mostly grow wildflowers, but I still keep an herb patch. Nothing like fresh from the garden goodness.

Old Kitty said...

What a lovely book!! Yay!

My indoor herbs aren't faring so well but my outdoor ones are doing ok! I love herbs - and may try a hanging basket one next year! Take care
x

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I am hoping for a small garden this year. And herbs are something I am really interested in too.

EmmaK said...

I love growing herbs in the garden but the only thing I have had success with is basil but I will try some other herbs this year.

Related Posts with Thumbnails