Saturday, February 25, 2012

I tried to trade my law degree and the sweetness of friends



I could stare at this photo all day. These cookies are a creation of love.




I must admit I have no shame. Three years of law school and almost twenty years later into a career and I could give it all away for a slice of cake. Not just any slice.



I would trade it to be able to make a slice of something beautiful. A gorgeous creation that I would spend hours in the kitchen creating. Hours, measuring and beating, weighing and waiting for something gorgeous. The joy I would receive as I sat at my kitchen table with the kitties nearby joined by my friends and a steaming pot of tea.

Just imagine every day around 4:00 sitting down for tea and a slice of cake. Oh the joys. So who am I doing the trading with? A client. I had a new client come into the office yesterday. His profession is "chef". So of course I had to ask the follow up questions, did you train professionally? where? what do you enjoy most about the kitchen? what type of chef are you? My hero!!! He went to Cordon Bleu, loved every moment of it and while he is not a pastry chef, he loves to make cakes for families and friends.

I have no shame, I told him I would trade him my law degree for his Cordon Bleu degree. If I went to Cordon Bleu I would study every night and do all my homework. We talked food, technique, chefs and recipes. I might just tell him to pay me in sugar.



To top off my baking fantasies I came home to find a gift awaiting me from my darling friend Vicki at 2 bags full. What makes a friend? Sugar and spice and everything nice. Love and kindness and little tea cookies. Vicki sent me a package from Butter Blossoms. Enter her site at your own risk. I find myself wanting to order everything.



The cookies with the Eiffel Tower are French tea cookies. Here is miss butter blossoms description.
Are you dreaming of tea time in a pretty Parisian cafe alongside the river Seine? Transport your next tea party to Paris with our French Breakfast tea cookies! This exquisite tasting black tea comes form the highly renowned Kenilworth Garden in Ceylon and imparts the most delicate tea flavor to each cookie with just a subtle hint of honeysuckle. Tres chic!!!

So while I did not do the baking my fantasy came through as I sat down last night with my cookies, a cup of tea and the kitties nearby. All that was missing was my friend Vicki, sitting at the table with me. She is in the Caribbean as I write this. I must also add that the package for these cookies is simple yet charming. There was a beautiful note attached to the box, from Vicki. Yes, I am one of those people who slowly open packages refusing to tear anything. It must have taken me 5 minutes to open this one.

This is my Saturday contribution for Weekend Cooking at Beth Fish Reads.

PS: My French Macarons arrive today.

24 comments:

Libby Rodriguez said...

Ooooooo.... Aaaaahhhhhh..... I'm AFRAID to visit the website you mentioned. These look amazing. And I love the way you staged them. Have the cheffy client pay you in THESE and then I will do traffic studies for you (I don't suppose there is any chance you are a land use atty?) and you can pass some through to me!

caite said...

no, I will not look at tat ste. it sounds very, very dangerous.

caite said...

'the site'..that is what it should have said but I was so excited.

Margot said...

For now I will just let my eyes do the eating. Those cookies are gorgeous and I will just imagine how good they taste. My scale will thank me later. Beautiful post.

Kris said...

Oooooo is right! I love cookies, cakes, and anything sweet! Of course, my waistline takes the beating for this! I use to not like rich desserts opting for the bland sugar, butter, and shortbread cookies. I don't know what happened to me in the last few years! I cannot pass a bakery without wanting to BUY something rich and decadent.

You asked where I got the lovely photo on Petite's FB page...Pinterest via stayinbed.tumpir.com

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

Those are the loveliest food photos I have ever seen!

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook said...

Gorgeous cookies! What a nice friend. I'm heading over to see the site. I hope I have some self-control...

JoAnn said...

What beautiful photos, and what a wonderful friend! Off to look at the website...

Vicki said...

Oh My Goodness!!!
Here's Mine

Old Kitty said...

These are far far far too pretty to eat. Sigh!!

Enjoy your wonderful treats!

Take care
x

Beth F said...

The site -- it just shot my budget to hell. I would trade my PhD for that Coudon Bleu degree too -- Oh to bake like that. Too pretty to eat . . . . well, I have a go anyway.

Chinoiseries said...

Oh the envy! Not just these beautiful tea cookies, but macarons straight from France as well?

I know what you mean, I'd give up everything to become a Cordon Bleu graduate tomorrow xD

Peggy Ann said...

Very beautiful!

Amy said...

Oh my Vicki's site is amazing! It all looks so good!

I understand what you're saying. I don't make fancy confections but I make a mean chocolate chip cookie and I LOVE how happy they make my friends and family. It's wonderful to be able to cook for people and bring them that joy. I cannot imagine being able to make the beautiful treats Vicki makes...

Like Homewr Simpson says D'OH.....

Regina said...

Thanks for the link to the cookies.... I will be checking them out, they look delicious and I am sure they taste the same too!

Brian said...

HeeHee, now I'm hungry!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

We are known to have a "sweet tooth" around here. These all look to wonderful.

Joy Weese Moll said...

Love all those pictures! Such pretty little treats.

Pesky Cat Designs said...

I can't stop thinking about that delicious looking cookie in your first pic! Where can I get it?!

Having tea and a delicious pastry with friends everyday would be so lovely. :)

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Beautiful post Esme, and as always - mouth watering.... to get a package of treats on your door step... true bliss!!!!!

Maybe you should start an exchange we could all sign up for where we exchange a package of delectable edibles from our home state/country with another (hint hint) :)

Christine said...

I can practically taste those cookies just from looking at them! My mouth is watering. mmm!

Mystica said...

I shouldn't even look at food like this as I can put on weight just reading about it!

Btw just saying Kenilworth Estate is the property next to ours in the tea country in Sri Lanka. It is a beautiful estate.

El said...

Lovely. I'm a huge tea fan so I'll have to try making them. Thanks!

~~louise~~ said...

Indescribably delicious to look at that's for sure. And what a delightful surprise too.

Sounds like you have a new bartering client. Let's see what could you request, lol...

Thank you so much for sharing, Esme...

Related Posts with Thumbnails